Friday, 30 September 2011

Missoni and me...





I've been brought up a certain way. It all started when my mother's mother, first discovered she loved fashion. My Grandma, was a beautiful woman and wore the most modern of fashion. She married my Grandpe after the war and they didn't have their only child until the 60's. In the time between, they went on adventures, to Paris, Ireland, Canada and Africa. My Grandparents were never wealthy, they never owned their own home or ate in beautiful resturants. But they had things.... My Grandma's things were clothes. I still have one dress she bought in Paris, its coture and she attended fashion shows at the time...

Now, my Grandma taught my mum, who taught me, everything that is important about clothes. What suits you, colour or shape, what prices are reasonable, even how to make your own clothes (like my grandma mainly did). But What neither of them taught me was, designers. They never shoved a copy of 'Vogue' in front of me and demanded I read. What they taught me was classic, timeless. Essential.

The first day I ever picked up Vogue, all I seemed to notice was Missoni. I've been hooked ever since. I know it when I see it on someone in the street and I have only good words to say of it.

What you may be surpised to know is, I never touched a missoni until 6 weeks ago.

I told my mum, a long time ago, about Missoni. I told her, if ever I had anything designed by Missoni, I would feel like I made it. I used to say the same about my favourite street in our city. Now I live there!

6 weeks ago was my 21st birthday. And what did my clever mother buy for me? A missoni scarf. And my brother bought me a Missoni key ring and Blackberry case.

I MADE IT!!

Next big ambition...

Girl about Town XxX



17 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a great post! I love the layout of your blog, it's really unique and interesting. Thanks so much for following me and commenting on my blog, I'm following you right back, dear! Thanks for sharing! xoxo, Veena <3

    http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love missoni!!=)
    great blog,like it!
    thanks for your comment!i hope that you return on my blog!
    kisses and have a nice day=)

    www.lapetiteblonde.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun u changed the blog look?? So cool, really original!! Lovely Missoni scarf, u have so good family!:)
    kisses
    Jelena (glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute story :) Im happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on your new scarf!!!! I love missoni prints, I really appreciate their spirit in fashion, and I'm so jealous of you!!!
    I saw you changed teh design of the blog, I'm not sure about the new dyanmic effect, what do you think?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big fan of Missoni too. :)

    Lau
    http://thenewblacksheep.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh thats soo so cool!! Missoni is wonderful!! a very veyr cute story!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how thoughtful of them to buy you Missoni...and way to carry the torch and keep the fashionista spirit going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome!
    I'm obsessed with getting a Missoni bikini, and staying in the Missoni hotel in Edinburgh, I just know it would be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was a very nice story. and it's was really sweet of them to buy you Missoni. i'd love to purchase a couple of items from there as well.

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the layout of your blog. its so unique & creative! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't tell you how much I love your blog! so inspiring!

    xx
    visit us at
    abutterflybyday.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool that your grandmother loved fashion!

    Join my giveaway♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love you story about Missoni- so glad you were able to get your hands on some! :)

    starcrossedsmile knits
    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete
  15. that missoni scarf is beautiful! I've been wanting one too, I might have to get it as a birthday or christmas (yay christmas!) present! I've just been going through your blog, I love it :) you have a gorgeous unique style! I love this post, I'd like to read more about what you've been taught about fashion/style from your mum and grandma :)

    xxx

    Catflicks

    ReplyDelete